Sunday, April 27, 2008

jesus camp

Anybody seen this movie? I watched it last night, its 1:20 minutes, so its a quick dip. My thoughts are still very primitive in development about it but overall I was a little disturbed over it. I felt angry too at the adults who are defining their success and effectiveness over how the kids react to their challenges and sermonettes. I may be off-base but I sensed a TON of pride present in the leaders and parents and didn't at all think that they were walking humbly before God. I tended to side with the radio show host who was appalled by the entire topic, but had an interesting discussion with Denise after about how we would raise our kids. For example, I think I would try to tell them equal amounts of argument for either side of evolution and creation, but in the end definitely make sure they knew what I believed and why. In the movie, the parents would only explain how ridiculous evolution is and that "we believe the Bible, so creation is true." Now I agree with that statement but I believe also that we should explain out of humility and an anti-fundamentalistic attitude, the concrete reasons why the Bible is true and authoritative, and also why teleologically, ontologically, and fundamentally creation is easy to believe. www.dictionary.com

I think what I've learned from seminary also is how important it is to know what issues are worth contending for and what issues are worth being diplomatic about. The people in this movie more resembled Muslim extremists than Christians. I know that's harsh but watch the movie and tell me what you think. In your comments, send me a link to your blog.

And lastly, 6 year olds, speaking in tongues, is always a little freaky to watch, especially with Indie-film-esque music playing in the background. I'm not saying I don't think people should speak in tongues, I pray that I would, but that they should do so either privately, or do so for the edification of the body as found in I Corinthians 14:22-24, I Cor. 14:39-40. Well actually, I'll save you some time:

I Corinthians 14:22-24
23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all,


I Cor. 14:39-40
39 Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

I have more to say, but Denise is schooling me with studying. So I'll possibly get to write more later.

Flan

2 comments:

ally said...

yeah...weird movie, didn't sit well.

Unknown said...

very disturbing... i agree. i watched it over a year ago, but i remember that i was pretty upset, actually more angry, during many parts of it.