Wednesday, January 13, 2010

my big swing list

my dad and two uncles have something they call "the big swing list" or just "the list" for short. whoever irritates them enough, they add to the list. some people on The List include Richard Dreyfus, Bono, and a lot of infomercial stars. They all have to agree to put someone on the list. the other day my dad sees Steve Martin on tv and says, "we really oughta add that guy to the list." my uncle thought about it for a second and then says, "no, he really doesn't bother me that much." i think harrison ford is on the list. i asked my dad recently if there were any women on the list and he said something like, "no. but it's not because we're opposed to that. none of them have annoyed us enough yet i guess. but tyra's getting pretty close."

anyway- i have my own list. not people though. companies. and i would like to share them. these are in order of increasing dislike.

1st- Kinkos: Kinkos has been a nemesis of mine for a while. they are ridiculously overpriced and they make me feel like an idiot every time i go in there. "you mean you don't know how to use the laminating machine? you poor, pitiful, foolish girl."

2nd- Radio Shack: Radio Shack is a horrible place. Any time I go in there no associate can help me. Usually they are on their cell phone talking to a friend and don't care to assist customers. But even when not on the cell phone, they still just DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. Last time I was there, the employee could not help me find a cord to hook my digital camera into my computer. I think that should be a pretty basic request.

3rd- Flying Biscuit: I know I will have to defend this because probably all of you love this place. It went from being my favorite breakfast place to my least favorite. I went there after work recently b/c I am pregnant and was starving and craving a specific food item- a skillet meal. you know, potatoes on the bottom, then meat and veggies, then 2 eggs cracked on top. yum. they do not have a skillet meal there, but they were having one as the special, so i got it. it was awful. when the waitress asked me if it was good, i said, "not really." and she just looked at me, like, oh, i'm sorry. but that was it. Why did you ask me if it was good, if it doesn't matter to you either way? From now on it is OPH, Le Peep and Zada Jane's for me.

4th- HARRIS TEETER: Harris Teeter, I have loved you for a long time, but I have come to realize something in a drastic way. You are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. Recently they had a great sale on chicken. Buy 1, get 2 free. It came out to $1.66/lb for chicken which is amazing. When I was leaving the store, the cashier says to me, "You saved 63 dollars with your VIC card today." And at first I was smiling, congratulating myself as I left. But then it hit me. That means that on any regular day, without this sale, Harris Teeter is overcharging me by about $63. I can't stand for it anymore. Yesterday I went in to HT to grab an apple for a snack b/c I was starving. Guess how much, for ONE apple? $1.31. Over a dollar. Apples are 50 cents each at Trader Joe's. But HT was more convenient for me, so I overpaid. Harris Teeter is basically charging an 80 cents convenience fee for apples. I can't take it anymore.

6 comments:

ally said...

i love this list. and i also HATE harris teeter. they are quasi evil.

Amy said...

I totally agree with HT being overpriced but if you coupon you can buck the system. Let me know if you want some tips. I got into it a few months ago and have slashed our grocery bill in half. And that was shopping at Target beforehand. So now, I shop at the HT convenient to my house for less than we've ever paid. And this include diapers :)

casey said...

i love this for many reasons including the fact that pregnancy makes the truth come out and i love that! i am inspired to make my own list now. i already blogged about kmart today so i will save it for another day.

Kate said...

this is a shocking expose on harris teeter. i have always suspected they were overpriced, but have been too lazy to actually do the comparison shopping.

i have to say though, i wholeheartedly disagree with you about kinko's. i go there prob about once a week, and their online printing has changed my life. you can submit any order and pay for it in advance and then just pick it up. i think i could only love them more if they got a drive thru where you could pick up your paper and order a skillet meal at the same time.

staci with an i said...

you are so pregnant.

denisha3000 said...

lol, kate. drive through paper and skillet meal? also, in my "expose" i am mainly referring to the kinkos on east blvd. and the 5 employees there I have interacted with over the years :-)